We have shortlisted 25 brands selling best dry dog food in this buyers’ guide. It will help you decide the perfect brand product for your little guy.
We understand that selecting the diet and dog food brand for your dog becomes crucial as well as frustrating. Further, it is difficult to completely know about the delicacies and specific outcomes from every dog food brand.
Similarly, you as a pet parent shall take care of the allergies and sensitivities your little champ has. There are numerous brands selling various recipe formulae but to find the best out of those can be difficult for you. But here we are to help you out!
Best Dry Dog Food of 2023 – AT Glance
This list is nothing but the highlights of products standing above the others in some aspects. There is nothing like an ideal food which suits all the dogs. Therefore, respective makers prepare their recipe focusing on specific feature requirement of a pet. Resulting from that, each dog food brand will have different positives and negatives.
- Fine-Quality Ingredients
- Available in Five Flavors
- Rich in Nutrient & Digestible Probiotics
|1. Taste of the Wild – High Prairie Canine Formula||Top Dry Dog Food|
|2. Canidae – All Life Stages Dry Dog Food||Budget Buy Dry Dog Food|
|3. Heed Foods Fresh Premium Kibble||Premium Choice Dry Dog Food|
|4. Orijen – Original Dry Dog Food||Dry Dog Food With Premium Ingredients|
|5. Acana – Heritage Free Run Poultry||Natural and Healthy Dry Dog Food|
**Rated by experts at Petlovesbest at the time of publication. It has nothing to do with Amazon ratings and reviews.
Best Dry Dog Food Reviews of 2023
After reading best dry dog food reviews, you will be able to understand the nutritional importance as well as experts’ recommendations for dry dog foods.
We have considered various factors i.e. novelty of meat protein, nutrients, quality, raw material sourcing locations, number of recalls and complaints, a variety of recipes, products for allergens, cost, etc. during the ranking of the following brands.
1. Taste of the Wild – High Prairie Canine Formula
Taste of the wild has specific meal types for all the life stages as well as the many meat preferences. So, there is food available for every type of dog. It is extraordinary that the company use fine quality of the meat along with some rare ingredients.
This brand is suitable for those animal owners who find it difficult to blend many nutritional ingredients into one meal, may that be nutritional supplements or taste modifiers. TOTW offers top of the line ingredients as well as the easily digestible content.
If you keep up late during job and have difficulty finding a perfectly suitable food for your dog, then you can trust TOTW for its quality and complete nourishment recipes. Because it has many satisfied customers, even the ones who shifted to this product from other brands now prefer this brand all the time.
If your dog is vomiting and leaving traces of indigestion, then continuing with this brand is not advisable. Don’t feed this to your dog if he has indigestion or poor metabolism. Some parents had common complaints about this brand i.e. they found differently shaded or irregularly shaped kibble in the pack.
- Turkey (343 kcal/ cup)
- Angus Beef (340 kcal/ cup)
- Trout (336 kcal/ cup)
- Venison & Garbanzo Beans (370 kcal/ cup)
- Bison & Venison (370 kcal/ cup)
- Salmon (360 kcal/ cup)
- Venison & Legumes (337 kcal/ cup)
- Roasted Lamb (338 kcal/ cup)
- Wild Boar (360 kcal/ cup)
- Roasted Fowl (375 kcal/ cup)
- Makers produce a variety of products, thus more options are available for the pets to match their preferences.
- Easy for digestion ingredients make this recipe.
- Makers use plenty of fibrous contents in the product.
- An optimal amount of quality-protein source adds up to a great tasting food.
- Delivers fairly great quality of meat-protein as compared to several premium brands.
- Taste of the wild products have been recalled in 2012. It had contamination issues and an incresed possibility of salmonells outbreak.
- All the sales of TOTW that took place in between the end of 2017 to initial 2018 received complaints about the pets that suffered from vomiting and diarrhea.
- Those bags had differently shaped kibble, little larger than usual and with white texture as that of scrapes.
- In a few cases, dogs older than 8 years had suffered from mild to moderate health issues.
2. Canidae – All Life Stages Dry Dog Food
The dog food from Canidae is made for active dog breeds. Recipe delivers high protein content along with healthy fats. Therefore, it is best suited to the active athletic dog breeds.
Canidae has a severe ingredient and nutrition value for the sensitive pooches especially the allergens. Having said that, if you diagnose your pooch to be suffering from health issues due to other dog food brands then give him time to heal before trying this brand. You shall allow him to get back to a healthy routine to try Canidae.
The best part of feeding this to your pet is its economic price that too, with the exceptional nutritional value. You shall definitely consider this brand for your pet if he is considerably healthy apparently.
- Wild Boar (454 kcal/ cup)
- Bison (474 kcal/ cup)
- Lamb (509 kcal/ cup)
- Chicken (500 kcal/ cup)
- Salmon (496 kcal/ cup)
- Duck (520 kcal/ cup)
- Turkey (476 kcal/ cup)
- Canidae uses the human-grade ingredients in the meals.
- This brand is way cheaper than its rivals.
- High-quality meat protein addition is a plus point.
- While the calorie content shows some substantial amount of calories in an animal’s diet.
- Provides sufficient nutrients to the active dogs.
- Variety of products suit allergens, active breeds, seniors, puppies, etc.
- Canidae recalled its dry dog food products due to possibilities of stock being contaminated with salmonella in 2012.
- The recall was limited to dry foods only.
- There are common complaints regarding the faulty packing done by Diamond brand. A couple of buyers found plastic sprinkles when they opened the pack.
- Many dogs have faced digestion issues while transitioning to this Canidae dog food.
3. Heed Foods – Fresh Premium Kibble for All Life Stages
This gut health focused brand has one of the most nutritious and wholesome kibbles available on the market. It has developed a cult following among dogs with a sensitive stomach, allergies or is a picky eater. Heed Foods come in two different flavors, and if you purchase it through their website, comes delivered with their three different tasty 100% human-grade toppers to choose from. Each 10lb kibble comes with 2 bags and each 5lb kibble comes with 1 bag.
You may find it pricey but considering the ingredients being used and nutritional values, the value for money is great especially if you have a dog with sensitivities. It certainly is cheaper than a trip to the vet! Most dog foods pack the minimum amount of nutrients according to AAFCO guidelines, but Heed Foods Kibble is an exception and exceeds the guidelines.
Their recipe has been tailored by microbiome experts and all the protein has been sourced from the USA. Not to mention, there are not any protein fillers and their recipes have as much as 31% crude protein. It also contains chicory roots, sugarbeet, yeast extract, kelp, sunflower lecithin, thyme extract, organic acids for the healthy gut as prebiotics and to promote overall health as well. Check out their product on the website for a complete ingredient list.
All in all these kibbles are just right for any dogs for all the stages. If you’re not sure if this kibble is right for your pooch, they have a great 100% satisfaction guarantee on the first bag of food.
Available Kibble Flavors
- Fresh Chicken and Ancient Grains Kibble
- Fresh Salmon and Quinoa Kibble
- Cod, Apple, Carrot Topper
- Turkey, Apple, White Beans Topper
- Turkey, Banana, Carrot Topper
- Exceeds AAFCO guidelines for the minimum amount of nutrition
- Palatable for almost all dogs
- Food for all life stages
- Kibble size is also perfect for dogs with dental issues
- Prebiotics and superfoods are included
- All ingredients are sourced from the USA
- The product can be costly for some people, especially who have multiple dogs
4. Fromm – Gold Adult Dry Dog Food
Fromm has a variety of flavors as well as it is available for all the life stages. The price is quite high if compared to its competitors but the variety of meat content is commendable.
Fromm can be used to feed the dogs having picky eating preferences as the meat mixture forms a unique taste. This brand uses human-grade ingredients; plenty of fresh meat contents makes it premium.
So, if you really believe that company should not use unknown ingredients in the pack, then this is the product you will love. This brand offers high protein along with plenty of carbs. So, it this food will deliver enough nutrients if your dog is active and requires immense protein.
- Beef (408 kcal/cup)
- Chicken (490 kcal/ cup)
- Duck (395 kcal/cup)
- Rabbit & Duck (393 kcal/cup)
- Lamb (408 kcal/cup)
- Pork (393 kcal/cup)
- Salmon (397 kcal/cup)
- Salmon, Duck & Chicken (409 kcal/cup)
- Fromm offers a vast variety of recipes to choose from.
- The calorie content varies hugely, which makes it suitable for a lazy dog to an athlete dog.
- This company never recalled the dry dog food.
- It is distinctly available for all life stages.
- Poultry products are used as ingredients which increases the possibility of catching salmonella or bird-flu. Chicken-free products lack in variety of recipe.
- Fromm has recalled its canned dog food product line. It had increased amount of Vitamin D in the batch.
- Variety of meat protein is great but lacks in quantitative nutrient addition.
- This meal costs too much.
5. Natural Balance – Original Ultra Whole Body
Natural Balance uses human-grade ingredients which means, the parents will be aware of the ingredients. NB is amongst the most preferred brands that pet owners buy. Because it is economical, decent protein content, fibers, and sufficient carbs content which boosts the metabolism.
Natural Balance is suitable for the lazy dogs having a weak metabolism. The dogs which are active throughout the day will find this meal insufficient and feel lethargic. Don’t feed NB to athletic dog breeds.
- Vegetarian (365 kcal/cup)
- Chicken & sweet potato (365 kcal/ cup)
- Lamb & Brown rice (355 kcal/cup)
- Legume & Duck (400 kcal/ cup)
- Potato & Duck (375 kcal/ cup)
- Bison & Sweet potato (375 kcal/ cup)
- Salmon & Sweet potato (350 kcal/ cup)
- Venison & Sweet potato (370 kcal/ cup)
- Turkey (336 kcal/ cup)
- Natural Balance is economical and easily available due to their deep sales channels.
- If customer requests on the company’s site, the company delivers him with his selected product the quality results of that certain batch or package.
- Makers use human-grade ingredients in the product.
- A vast range of formula allows buyers to choose for their preferences.
- All life stages have a specific formula.
- There is lower protein content and way higher carbohydrate content.
- The company recalled their products twice, first in 2010 and second in 2012.
- Humans were infected with salmonella, severity led to the first recall.
6. Acana – Heritage Free Run Poultry
The brand has used some wide mixtures of ingredients which makes it stand out but it has huge price labels.
This product will suit your dog either if he is young or senior. Similarly, it will suit the allergen due to its fresh ingredients and grain-free formula. Go for this brand if it fits your budget because products like this usually come at a premium price. It will be difficult to choose any Acana meal at first because they have a numerously available formula for different life stages, allergens, treats, etc.
Poultry formula could raise the possibility of catching salmonella or bird-flu. Though there are rare conditions when the ingredients are fetched from an infected source.
Furthermore, poultry products could create flare-ups to the allergens. Dogs are prone to having allergy from poultry products when hygiene is not properly maintained in the poultry farm.
Acana delivers sufficient amount of meat protein to the homely dogs. The larger breeds who have an immense protein requirement will need proper supplements along with the meal.
- Chicken & Turkey (396 kcal/ cup)
- Lamb (419 kcal/ cup)
- Beef & Pork (388 kcal/ cup)
- Duck & Turkey (396 kcal/ cup)
- Boar & Turkey (396 kcal/ cup)
- Acana has never recalled their products.
- It is one of the two subsidiaries of the company named Champion, another is Orijen. Which makes Orijen and Acana cousins.
- Acana uses a wide range of meat blend into this one single meal pack.
- Decent amount of premium meat content is added to the kibble.
- Raw materials are sourced from the local or near-by cultivation facility. That makes it fresh and more reliable.
- There are no customers complaining about Acana.
- Acana is among those premium brands which deliver premium food with sky-high price tags.
- A wide range of meat is included in the meal but its nutritional value is limited because the meat is in limited quantity.
7. Horizon – Pulsar Fish
The dogs deprived of daily long walks or runs will feed on this brand with great satisfaction. Suitable for the pet if he suffers from digestive ailments or pancreatitis.
The formula will be healthy for the pups as they require a decent amount of protein as well as it is easy for digestion food.
If your pooch requires plenty of protein, then this brand will not be able to deliver the same amount of protein you expect. Even the larger breeds will be deprived of the nutrients which they require in abundance.
If you are cautious regarding the selection of the food product for your dog then you could rely on Horizon because they never recalled any of their product lines since they started in 2006. Recalls cannot measure how much the product is suitable for your pet but surely describes that the brand is free from any allegations of using fake, unhealthy, faulty ingredients in their packs.
⦁ Chicken (408 Kcal/cup)
⦁ salmon (410 Kcal/cup)
⦁ pork (402 Kcal/cup)
⦁ lamb (418 Kcal/cup)
⦁ turkey (392 Kcal/cup)
- Pulsar consists of various recipes, thus more options are available for the pets to match their preferences.
- Pulsar fish recipe is focused on the lean protein requirement of animals.
- The company has never recalled any of their product lines.
- A major amount of carbs in the product makes it energy diet along with enough fiber content.
- Salmon fish protein is used in the product.
- There were complaints about the dogs not eating the food, although they were hungry.
- A mediocre amount of meat protein used in the product makes it just healthy for dogs who are not active all day.
8. Zignature – Turkey Formula
Here, we have the premium item on our review list made of the best ingredients that come at a price. To cut it short, this is an expensive product but it is worth every penny you spend for its quality.
Zignature is all about the image and the quality they practice. This is one of the reputed dog food brands who has never recalled their product line. In fact, they prepare their recipe with a unique blend of ingredients and never use gluten, chicken, potatoes. Hence, this formula is highly suitable for large Fido breeds.
In the same manner, Zignature is an appropriate diet for all the dog categories. As a matter of fact, eliminating the use of chicken, gluten, grains allow the allergens to have this diet.
Surprisingly, Zignature prepares a vivid recipe using many ingredients for the best nutritional value. It suffices all the nutritional needs of all types of dogs. In fact, you shall prefer this brand if you have more than one dog at home especially of the different breed.
In the end, Zignature is a top-notch dog food maker without a second thought. On the contrary, buying its products can be a bit of playing with the budget just for the food doesn’t seem appealing. Hence, if you want the best for your dog and don’t want to settle for the lesser nutrients and save the money then this is the deal for you.
This company food is expensive, no doubt about that but on the other hand, the company has consistently delivered the quality food. So, if you could afford and don’t want to compromise with the quality, then this is the brand you are looking for.
- Pork (430 kcal/ cup)
- Goat (457 kcal/ cup)
- Venison (408 kcal/ cup)
- Lamb (435 kcal/ cup)
- Kangaroo (413 kcal/ cup)
- Turkey (457 kcal/ cup)
- Guinea Fowl (457 kcal/ cup)
- Turkey recipe has major turkey meat along with lamb meal and duck meal.
- Zignature has not recalled their product once.
- Many owners have shifted to this brand from the others and continue with it. This brand has plenty amount of protein content in it.
- Many owners had common complaints that their furbabies were drinking more water than usual.
- This formula costs a bit if you compare with other products.
- As well as dogs had frequent stomach aches, an unhealthy trace of feces.
- There are no treats available in this brand. Treats are also a form of dry dog food that many owners want to buy.
9. Holistic – Naturals Grain Free Adult & Puppy
Holistic perfectly suits the all the dogs of different life stages and breeds. Never switch on to this food if your dog already has digestion problems.
Holistic is perfectly suitable for the pups and adults having an active life. Athletic dogs might require certain supplement in the kibble.
Holistic never had any recalls means that they are considerate of keeping hygiene level up to the mark. Go for this brand if your pet has a good metabolism but apparently struggling with the allergy problems. Because the ingredients used in the product have specific consideration for the allergens.
- Chicken (453 kcal/ cup)
- Lamb (454 kcal/ cup)
- Duck (441 kcal/ cup)
- Turkey (376 kcal/ cup)
- Anchovy & Sardine (481 kcal/ cup)
- Rabbit (351 kcal/ cup)
- Holistic never had any recalls for any of their product lines.
- It has specific food for all the life stages and allergens.
- Rabbit recipe is rarely found in the dog foods.
- Contains above average quality of protein.
- Holistic uses a variety of a blend that might cause allergies or intolerance to the dog not fond of acute tastes.
- Holistic costs a bit high.
- Users had common complaints about the pet losing appetite, having diarrhea, and vomiting.
- Protein content is a bit low.
10. Orijen – Original Dry Dog Food
As shown above, Orijen’s calorie content stands out from the other brands on the list. There is a maximum amount of the energy produced from the unit cup of serving. So, animals who require more amount of calorie content for their daily active routine will get the best of their requirements.
This brand will start burning deep holes in your pocket as the dogs will love this food but it costs a hefty amount. Orijen will suit every dog falling into different life stages because there has not been any complaint from the users since this brand was established.
Orijen is rarely available to the region other than the American and European continent. But as the brand is receiving positive feedback from the users, it has started developing in the new countries.
Orijen has recalled its cat food products which were sold on the Australian continent. But never recalled at any other part of the world. Though the product ever recalled was a cat food meal sold in the Australian region for not processing the food by gamma radiation, the dog food meals were all good in those times too.
- Chicken & Turkey (520 kcal/cup)
- Pacific pilchard, Mackerel, Hake (465 kcal/cup)
- Beef, Boar, Bison, Lamb, Pork(465 kcal /cup)
- Goat, Boar, Venison, Char, Duck (460 kcal/cup)
- Chicken, Turkey, Fish (425 kcal/cup)
- Combination of multiple protein lumps of meat is used in a single pack makes it protein-rich to a great extent.
- The calorie content per serving is more than the usually available dog food meals.
- Raw contents are used, which makes it a premium product in terms of ingredients.
- There is not a single recall of this dog food product.
- Orijen recalled its cat food sold in Australia.
- Cost of this Canadian brand reaches maximum heights and inflation keeps on increasing.
11. American Natural Premium – Grain-Free Ocean Fish & Potato Recipe
American Natural Premium is one good brand which suits all the animals falling in different age-groups. If you are not sure of what specific recipe to feed your dog, then this brand will not confuse you more and deliver up to your expectations.
This company’s food is healthy for the young pup as well as the senior dog. Even if your dog requires major protein content in the meal, this product will suffice the needs accordingly. Different product lines deliver all type of nutrient requirements of a dog.
It is an added advantage or a plus that this brand neither had any recalls nor does it have any allegations. ANP has all the premium ingredients in the pack as much as any expensive product will have but costs a lot less. But since this is the company with limited sales in the region outside East America, it becomes difficult to purchase its products from a random grocery store or a supermarket.
- Duck & Pork (397 kcal/ cup)
- Ocean Fish (397 kcal/ cup)
- Pork (390 kcal/ cup)
- Lamb & Rice (382.72 kcal/ cup)
- This recipe comprise of utmost protein amount.
- Available at an affordable price.
- Many parents have switched to this product.
- ANP did not ever had the allegations regarding quality thus, there is record of no recalls.
- No poultry product is used which reduces the possibility of catching salmonella or bird-flu.
- This recipe does not focus on specific life stage.
- No deep sales channel are set outside Eastern America. There is a scarcity of the dealers selling ANP.
Best Dry Dog Food Brands Worth Considering
You have seen the ten best dry dog food earlier on this review. Need not to say that these products are have performed the best looking at their nutritional qualities and reliability. However, it does not mean those products are ideal for every dog out there.
To say so, we have prepared a list of five more dry dog food which is nothing less compared to the best ten. Hence, you shall consider these five more dry dog foods if you do not find the previous products appealing. Since every dog will require a diet that soothes his needs.
We have listed these five products differently because they comprised a thing or two lesser. In contrast to that, these products still stand above the most present on the market because of their qualities. Therefore, consider these products because these might have the quality ingredient that your dog likes the most.
- Merrick Grain-Free Real Texas Beef & Sweet Potato
- Nutro Ultra Adult Dry Dog Food
- Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Original Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Blue Life Protection Formula
- Diamond Naturals Real Meat Recipe
Based on Breed
The dog foods listed above were categorized suitable for different breeds. In most cases, it is necessary to feed the pet according to its breed.
There are several brands producing the foods suitable for a specific breed. We have categorized the best dry dog food for the small breed, medium size breed, and the large breed dogs.
1. Toy/Small Breeds
Toy breeds remain active for the most part of the day and require thorough rest and nutrition to support their health. Additionally, they need minimum protein sum with a little more carbs. Also, they shall have the utmost vitamins and minerals for proper physical well-being. Keeping that in mind, we have shortlisted two dog foods with soothing ingredients meant for tiny pooches.
- Hill’s Science Diet Small & Toy Breed Dry Dog Food
- Wellness Core Grain Free Small Breed
2. Medium Sized Dog Breeds
The medium sized dog breeds are the ones who grow taller than 14 inches and weigh more than 20 pounds. These four-legged creatures require more protein, carbs, fatty acids, and a considerable sum of vitamins and minerals. Having said that, you will find two product matching their requirements below.
- Avoderm Natural Dog Food
- Fromm Gold Adult Dry Dog Food
3. Large Breeds
Gigantic dog breeds require a little more volume of food as well as a little intense nutrition in it. Hence, we have listed the dog foods for them comprising of higher protein, fats, and no controversial ingredient(to cope with their metabolism) below.
- Blue Wilderness Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food
- Eukanuba Adult Dry Dog Food
Based On Age Group
Pups of different age have varying need for nutrition. Check out our best dry dog food picks based on the age of the pup.
Young pooches have growing bodies which require utmost nutritional facilitation to promote growth. As a matter of fact, most of the breeds require the puppy diet when they are of 0 to 1 years of age.
On the contrary, during this age, they have very tender digestive system susceptible to allergies. Hence, they require the utmost nutritional food with negligible severe ingredients(difficult to digest).
- Eagle Pack Natural Pet Food
- Taste of the Wild Grain-Free Natural Dry Dog Food
Moreover, the pooches of age 1 to 7 year are considered as adult dogs. During this period they have a solid appetite and nutritional need. In fact, some athletic breeds can consume twice the food as compared to any inactive breed.
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Dog Food Reviews
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food
- Purina Beyond Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food
Dogs are called senior pooches when they grow older than 8 years. These pooches require maximum of fibrous diet to support healthy digestion. Along with that they cannot have more protein and carbs.
- Earth Born Holistic Adult Vantage
- Orijen Senior Dry Dog Food
For Different Health Conditions
Is your pup suffering from some medical condition or disease? If yes, then you might want to consider specific supplement according to the condition. Check out our picks!
1. Yeast Infection
Starch is abundantly used to make the kibble(binding). Moreover, starch replicates the form of sugar just after digestion. In addition to that, yeast feasts on starch if not feeds on starch. Therefore, using kibble is the primary reason to have a yeast infection in dogs.
As a matter of fact, you shall not consider getting a kibble dog food if your pooch suffers from yeast infection. On the other hand, you should prefer getting the dog food we have listed below to prevent a yeast infection from getting worse.
- Wholesome Homemade Grain Free
- Precise Naturals
To cut the long story short, eliminate the ingredients i.e. grains, starchy substances, veggies, fruits, synthetic sweeteners, etc. and you find an ideal meal for yeast infected animal. Which in reality, is rarely available in kibble form.
Pooches secrete a special type of protein compound from their saliva and skin pores. This compound can have a bacterial outbreak when anyone comes in contact with it. However, it gets inactive without a host. Hence, the dog without necessary shedding rate will tend to become a host to such bacteria and source of the special protein.
Thereafter, humans with sensitive respiratory tract become prone to suffering from hypoallergenic conditions. In fact, there is only one way to control this from taking place i.e. feeding your dog the food we have listed below. It will control the shedding rate and special protein from spreading.
- Pinnacle Grain Free Dog Food
- P.S. Grain-Free Complete Dog Food
There are many reasons causing obesity i.e. overeating, frequent meals, inadequate exercising, a long duration between two meals, unhealthy meals, high-calorie meals, etc.
Sometimes, dogs show obesity due to hormonal imbalance and masters find very difficult to control that violent obesity. There are makers who produce the dog food with a recipe which helps a pooch by delivering weight management and sufficient nutritional diet.
- Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat Dry
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Dry Dog Food
These dog foods deliver lean protein, fats which makes the dog fit and help a dog get in shape without severe or harmful weight loss.
4. Skin Allergies
An unhealthy stomach is a sign of having skin allergies and other related problems in dogs as much as in humans. A dog will seldom have any skin allergies with a healthy digestive tract. However, there are dog foods on the market aiming at improving the digestion. Ultimately this will be a solution to the problem of increasing skin allergies.
- Addiction Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Formula
- Wellness Simple
5. Sensitive Stomach
Pooches with a limited area to roam and play are more prone to having a little tolerance towards all the dog foods. It is just because of their digestive tracts are not accustomed to the harshness of various dog foods.
Moreover, pooches residing in the urban areas show the stomach sensitivities because of the reason they have a little space to be active. Not only a little space but also the unfiltered water, atmosphere, etc. leads to a sensitive stomach in dogs. Therefore, these dog foods will help your dog with their soothing ingredients and simple to digest formula.
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Just 6 Natural Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Diet Low Fat GI Restore Dry Dog Food
6. Liver Disease
Hepatic diseases occur due to an intake of excess copper in the meal, some meats i.e. salmon, duck, pork, etc. are the source of copper. Protein source with a poor quantity of fatty acid leads to an improper synthesis of that protein. As a result, the protein deposits develop in the liver.
- Royal Canin Canine Hepatic Dry
- Science Diet l/d Canine Formula/
Our top-rated dry dog foods are valid for ideal conditions, we don’t strongly believe this list holds true for every dog.
There are more factors involved in selecting a dry dog food. Refer the list of common queries that you might face while selecting a dry dog food on the market.
How to Select the Best Dry Dog Food
Selecting the best dry dog food available on the market is a messy task to do. It is important to have complete knowledge about the dog’s preferences, needs, and quality ingredients that a brand offers. We have also made a list of the best dog foods considering all these factors and also including wide range of products.
So, to make things easy we have explained the essential factors to take care of while selecting dry dog food.
Usually, you need to check the major ingredients before you buy dog food. It constitutes the overall taste, nutrition, and aroma in the meal. Many dogs are allergic or intolerant to the poultry products, it even increases the possibility of infection in dogs.
So, going with the recipe which does not have poultry products and by-products as its ingredients is advisable. Buy dog food whose focused ingredient is chicken or chicken-meal only if your Fido loves it.
Check if the products are free from synthetic additives used for essence, sweeteners, or colors. Also, see if there is a small number of preservatives in the packet. Preservatives are added to elongate the duration of a meal staying fresh.
2. Size of the Pack
The company produces various sizes of packets out of which you have to pick the one which suits you. Lets, generalize the size of packs as small, medium, and large for our ease.
Generally, the large packs are the best deal; the cost of the meal becomes very cheap considered dollars per pound. But when to buy a large pack or the small or medium?
Well, if you are accustomed to or trust the product very well then you shall buy the large pack available in the market.
If not sure of the products you bought will suit your little champion or not, then a small pack is preferable. Go, for the medium pack which will not cost a ton like large pack and has a decent quantity of meal that will last for some time.
3. Locally Sourced Ingredients
Many brands source their raw material from the local cultivation facility or farms, which means the transportation time is decreased considerably and freshness of the ingredient is intact.
Products who source their major ingredients from nearby places tend to have lower contamination in their meals.
It is really difficult to have every ingredient of a product sourced from local places, thus see a product with an optimal number of ingredients sourced from nearby places.
4. Calorie Content
There will be a numeric value under the title calorie content, which indicates the metabolizable energy. Every ingredient in the recipe contributes some amount of energy to the consumer after digestion.
Calorie content shows the calculated sum of the energy amount that releases upon digestion of the meal. Bigger the number, more the energy that food releases after digestion. Calorie content is the quantitative measurement of the formula.
Selecting the food which has an optimal value of calorie is preferable because every dog has unique needs.
For example, a lethargic dog will require less energy compared to that of an active dog. When a pet requires less energy to keep up with daily activities, don’t assume that cutting the serving cup quantity which has high calories will work.
Any animal requires optimum quality and quantity of food to sustain. Thus, never manipulate the serving according to your understanding.
5. Guaranteed Analysis
The guaranteed analysis shows the amount of every nutrient contributing to the meal in percentage value.
It is a qualitative measurement of nutrients added to the pack. While choosing the best food, a good natural food is always advisable because it will have proper proportions in the guaranteed analysis.
Avoid cheap alternatives to meat protein, also see for good plant protein.
Nutrients that constitute healthiest dog food i.e. protein, carbohydrates, fibers, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids should be an appropriate mixture. All nutrients should deliver to the requirements of the consumer perfectly. Select a product which an optimum proportion of nutrients in the pack.
6. Grain-Free/Gluten Free
Gluten is a type of a protein which is not essentially required in the dog’s diet. In some cases, dogs show intolerance or flare-ups when kept on a grain or gluten contented diet.
If your little companion has sensitivities to grain or gluten, then choose the grain-free and gluten-free diet.
Some grains have gluten which means a gluten-free formula may have grains in it. On the other hand, a grain free formula does not have gluten at all.
7. Plenty Fibers
Fibers in the diet help in the skin refinement as well as helps in the digestion process. It increases metabolism and eases the bowel movement. Fibers will lead to firmer stools, fibers are good for the dogs having constipation.
Worst Dry Dog Food
All the dog food brands aim at nourishing the pooches in the best way possible. However, we know, it does not necessarily mean every dog will benefit from it. Having said that, now it becomes our responsibility to take care of our dogs by choosing the best dry dog food for them.
1. Ripped Sack or Packet
You have observed that all the dog foods are packed in either the plastic wrapper or foil sheets. Generally, these packing material are cut into perfect shape where a little of scrapes get loose from the parent sheet/wrapper. This gets mixed in the kibble accidentally if the makers don’t take it out manually.
Additionally, the packs of dog food can get heavily damaged during transportation. This leads to contaminations enter the ripped packets. Hence, avoid getting the ripped packs and return the dog food with scrapes also ask for a refund.
2. Stale Content
Dog food manufacturers tend to get their raw materials from far away places if not overseas. It leads to compromising with the freshness and nutritional qualities of those materials. In fact, these raw materials will not be healthy for consumption despite passing through heavy processing.
Hence, avoid the dog food which does not smell very familiar to you like always. Also, try to watch your dog if he rejects the food(for stale content). In fact, you shall be very keen on knowing if your dog suffers from any sickness because it can primarily point towards the stale content of his food.
3. Food Recalled Several Times
We insist you follow the FDA recalls regarding every dog food or at least the product you prefer for your Fido. A recall is announced for the company if they are found to have sold the food with misleading nutritional data on their packs. On the other hand, a recall can be announced by FDA upon getting a valid complaint.
You shall keep away from the dog food product line which keeps getting recalls. Since it directly indicates the fishy ingredients or manufacturing practices.
What to Avoid in a Dry Dog Food
Every dog food manufacturer manages an optimum nutritional value and manufacturing cost for the win-win situation in their own ways. As dog parents, we have a responsibility here i.e. to avoid these factors in dry dog food.
1. Poultry By-Products
Avoiding poultry by-products is not as beneficial as poultry meat. Basically, a poultry by-product is just the addition of the leftovers of a chicken other than meat. In fact, the manufacturers have a huge loophole to exploit for their cost of manufacturing.
Hence, getting a dog food with poultry ingredient is good but avoid poultry by-products.
2. Manufacturing Date
Going for a weekly or monthly shopping can be frustrating we know. Still, try to have a look at the manufacturing dates of all the dog food you buy. Because shopping places have huge aisles of racks and giant godowns of their own to stack.
This practice will often have the dog food packet of the older dates when you buy them. Although, it might not have passed the expiration date yet doesn’t mean it will last longer.
3. Pack with Holes
As we mentioned earlier in this article, you shall keep away from the dog food packets which are ripped or have even tiniest hole on it. Because the bugs, contaminations can enter inside and spoil the food substantially.
Moreover, the holes can be an indication of the presence of the bugs inside the pack. In fact, dog food packets can have holes during transportation.
4. Falling for Innovative Commercials
Manufacturers spend a huge sum to have their product advertised in a way which they cannot deliver the same quality. Thereafter, people who expect to get the results from such dog foods keeping the advertisements in context will feel cheated.
However, you are reading this then understand the real value of the product and not only go for the product watching the advertisement. Not to mention, go through our reviews on all the dog foods to verify the quality of all the dog food brands.
5. Synthetic Addition
We cannot eradicate the use of preservative completely. Generally, makers of the dog foods use preservatives to keep the edible materials intact for a longer span. In fact, some of the ingredients have a short shelf life and require heavy processing.
Therefore it becomes impossible to get rid of the preservatives but minimizing its use is possible. Hence, avoid going for the dry dog foods which have unnecessary preservatives in their formula. Look for the word ‘synthetic’ which means processed in simple terms.
6. Anything Unknown
FDA emphasizes and compels the dog food manufacturers to mention all the ingredients on their pack. In this manner, the buyers will have the upper hand in selecting the dog food. All you have to do is understand the value of every ingredient. Along with that, you shall understand the ingredients which are unnecessary, synthetic, unknown. Avoid getting the dog food with such controversial ingredients.
7. Low Fibers
Never go for the dog food with lower fibers. Since fiber is the primary element that keeps the metabolism right on track. It promotes easy bowel movements. Enhances skin texture and prevents skin oriented diseases and allergies.
Additionally, you shall emphasis on the meat-based protein more. As there would be cheap protein inclusion like pea-protein to look decent in the ingredient box. However, it will no be a good addition to the nutritional value with the cheap-protein ingredient.
8. Cheap Protein Sources
As we mentioned, canines do well with the meat proteins. They cannot do as good as humans on the plant-based proteins. Therefore prefer getting the hefty meaty protein number on dog food and not the cheap-protein.
9. Believing Premium Brands Blindly
Dog foods delivering a quality of nutritional value is a well-known factor for all of us. However, it does not imply that every expensive brand delivers the best quality food!
When a dog food brands reach the popularity that gets their audience blinded there they can mingle with the quality a little to earn more profits.
Hence, do not trust the reputed brands blindly all the time. Since, many factors can lead to a dog food cost more like tax scheme, transportation, location, connections with cultivators, etc.
Hence, Don’t blindly consider buying the premium dog food from the market. Even if the dog food has actual quality ingredients, still there is a possibility of your dog will not like it.
What to Look for in a Dry Dog Food
While selecting a dry dog food many things will attract you, either that will be the soothing texture of the kibble or a catchy tagline. Those are just marketing factors which the company lays out for the customers.
Instead, you should go through the in-depth factors of what the brand actually offers and is healthy for a dog. Go through the considerations we have listed.
Considerations for Selecting a Dry Dog Food
There are many variables for selecting appropriate dry dog food, keeping in mind the necessity of dry food in the first place. Dry dog foods contain approximately 10-12% of moisture which helps in ingestion of the mouthful meal.
Kibble is available in huge packs which last for a couple of months where the wet dog food will last a couple of days after the can is opened once. We highlight here some important factors to keep in mind while selecting a dry dog food.
Nutritional need is the most important factor to look at while selecting any dry dog food. A dog food comprised of quality nutrients ultimately will suffice the hunger of the dog.
The important nutrients which have to be included in a dog’s diet i.e. protein, carbohydrate, minerals, vitamins, fatty acids. Not to mention, every nutrient will not be needed in the same amount. A perfect blend of these nutrients is required which can sustain a dog’s health.
2. Allergic Ingredients
Every dog does not respond alike while consuming similar meals. Some dogs might be allergic to grains, meat, beef, dairy products, etc.
As a master, you should obviously are aware of it. Dogs unknowingly consume everything which you feed them, therefore it becomes your responsibility to cater a perfect dog food to your companion which he is not allergic to.
3. Dog’s Preferences
Ideal dog food will not perfectly suitable for your fur-buddy, dogs also have preferences, sensitivities towards specific foods. So this is the factor you need to consider while buying the food bag i.e. what food will not suit my pooch.
4. Popular Dog Food
When you find a dog food on the market very appealing to you but has minimum buyers or no regular buyers, then don’t prefer that product.
There is a reason why every brand does not manufacture in huge quantities, which is – buyers don’t prefer their products. Don’t buy until you go through substantial reviews of that product.
You have a limited budget to spend on a dog food is totally acceptable. When you can feed yourself economic eatables so why not feed the same to your little champion. Don’t think highly of a big budget product is apt for your pooch.
Quality products have a higher cost, we agree. Although there are many economic brands available in the market which delivers enough nutritional value to your pet’s diet. Furthermore, don’t stretch too far on choosing a low-quality dog food because a little bit of harsh ingredient can deteriorate pup’s health.
How to get a Dog to Eat Dry Food
Animals could eat the whole time if you feed them. Reason for your pet not eating the dry food can one of these; he is a choosy eater, he is sick, lost his appetite, have dental ailments, etc. Not eating is just a symptom that indicates the above-stated possibilities.
So, it is advisable to take him to the vet and check for any sickness. If not diagnosed with sickness, infection, or dental problems then it just indicates he is choosy about his food.
Dogs can avoid the new food when introduced to him even though it might be most preferred dog food in pet food range. With given time your dog will eventually like it.
1. Select Apt Dry Dog Food
Every dog has a unique sense of taste, they might like human food if they are accustomed to it. In general, dogs love the meat flavor in their food which is a healthy source of protein as well. See in the ingredient box behind the packet of dog food, the list shows how much amount of ingredients used in the meal in descending order.
Thus the first three to four ingredients develop most of the taste of the meal. Meat tastes good in the dry dog food, and dogs love that no matter what. Look out for the dry dog food which has meat ingredients at the top of the ingredient list.
2. Dog Used to Different Food
Pooches get accustomed to the food when fed for a long phase of time. Then it becomes difficult to break that habit or preference and feed him something new.
Thus you need to give him some time to accept a new food. Human grade and wet dog food taste great to dogs and those dogs generally avoid dry dog food or kibble.
3. Mix his Apparent Food with the Kibble
When a dog is used to food other than dry dog food and is hesitant while trying new food, try mixing the newer food to the previous one.
During the meal time, you can prepare a blend of newer food and the previous one in such a way that the newer food constitutes a quarter amount of the total meal quantity. Increase the dry dog food gradually if Fido starts liking the dry food.
When your pet does not like the dry food even in smaller blend quantity, then start feeding him once a day with a bowl of mixed foods rest of the times avoid mixing.
4. Accompany him While Feeding
Pooches love their master’s company, your participation will motivate him. Hence, when your pet is hesitant about trying new food with all the methods you tried on him; then try feeding him by hand.
Place his food on your hand and allow him to eat, a conversation will help. If not to feed him with your hand, try to accompany him to his meal times sitting adjacent to his bowl and command him in a mild tone.
In this manner, you could help your dog accept the dry dog food if he does not like it at the beginning. With the course of a couple of weeks to a month, your buddy will accept the dry dog meal.
Similar Dog Food Reviews
- The Best Organic Dog Food of 2023
- The Best Grain Free Dog Food of 2023
- The Best Wet Dog Food of 2023
The factors considered in this review are for ideal dry dog food but it is not a rigid fact that ideal is best for every dog.
So, if your dog does not act normally after any of the food you introduce to him; then please don’t continue feeding the same. Because your pooch might not be comfortable with food depending on his preferences and sensitivities.
We hope this review helped you select the perfect dry dog food for your fur-buddy. Let us know if you feel there’s a brand deserving its position in the top 10 but is not present here.
Till then take care!